Blogs in teacher training

Friday, April 28, 2006

Large Language classes

When I was working at METU, the maximum class size was 25. I also worked in a language school at the weekends (Mustafa Parlar Vakfi), where the average class was composed of maximum 15 students. This year I've got 29 students in my Engl. 192 class and this is not good especially in terms of giving equal chances to each and every student. Sometimes I realise at the end of a lesson that I had to totally ignore some students (especially quiet ones). As languages cannot be taught through lecturing and as they are learned through use, there should not be more than 25 students in a language class. Let's forget about the difficulty for the teacher. It's also extremely unfair to the students.

By the way, I came accross with the following site which gives some clues about how to deal with large classes while I was surfing in the net. I hope you find it useful!!!

http://www.iub.edu/~teaching/faqlarge.shtml